Nov 20, 2009

When will it end!?

I am quick to make anyone I talk to aware of the fact that I am not an individual who stays completely abreast of political goings on. I am also by no means the type of person who holds engrossing conversations pertaining to taxes, cost of living, this law or that law. That being said, I have to express what I, as an average working class individual, feel about a story that our local news station covered regarding high unemployment in Florida and how it has depleted the unemployment compensation trust fund.

Florida is by no means the only state to suffer from large unemployment rates and I'm sure the light at the end of the tunnel is farther away than we would like it to be in any state. But I cannot seem to see any logical justification for Florida effectively raising unemployment compensation taxes by as much as twelve times what business owners already pay in order to replenish the unemployment trust fund. Why is the solution always to pull from the pockets of the people working hard to survive in a unstable economy.

The truth behind this tax increase is that the business owners who are going to be paying this exorbitant tax will have to make unsavory decisions in order to stay afloat. These decisions will range from increasing the costs of whatever services they provide which will result in less business (not like a lot of business is going around these days to begin with!), pay cuts or a reduction of hours for the employees they staff resulting in less money being put into the economy because people just can't afford to buy that car or the house they need for their growing family, and of course MORE LAYOFFS which will only increase the unemployment rate in turn raising the amount coming out of the fund this tax increase is supposed to be replenishing! Its a constant and ridiculous cycle.

I am not devoid of common sense and I realize that their is a process of checks and balances and that certain laws exist to create that balance. But when will it end?! When will the monetary sacrifice not be forced upon the citizens. I don't care who you vote for or if your vote at all, its all the same "if you elect me to be your President, Governor, Mayor, foreseer of all wisdom. I will blah blah blah and so on." Its over, our faith is shattered and your words only convey that you know we aren't idiots and that you choose to ignore the problem because you don't have a solution or your not willing to make the monetary sacrifice yourself.

So there is my rant for the day. Like I said, I am no political guru nor do I claim to be. But what I am is a part of the working class who is affected by every decision that our government makes and the taxes I pay out off my paycheck, for my house and hopefully someday in my own business ( I must be crazy right!) gives me the right to voice my opinion. P.S. the title of this post is a link to the story regarding the tax increase.

No comments: